The years 1912 and 1913 saw a flurry of construction in Lebanon, leading to a number of buildings that are still Lebanon landmarks, including: The First Presbyterian Church, (on the NW corner of Ash and 2nd) The Lebanon National Bank, (now Wells Fargo) and the Lebanon Hotel Building, among several others.
The Lebanon Hotel was a four story structure, (the top story was removed in 1964) built at a cost of $65,000, a considerable sum in 1913, and boasted 80 rooms. The str…ucture was built to replace a smaller hotel (The wooden structure on the photo below—) that had burned down in 1912, by JC Devine, who also built the adjacent building to the south that still stands today. Devine sold the building to his son-in-law, Albert F. Wilson, who lived with his wife Sylonia (who was also the first Strawberry festival queen) in the hotel until 1964, after the hotel closed for business in 1953.
The Lebanon Hotel was renowned throughout the northwest for its fine dining. The dining room seated 110 people, and in May of 1916, the Oregonian reported that often every seat was filled, and it was not uncommon to find 60 people or so for lunch on a business day.
The photo of the residential area is a postcard taken from the roof of the hotel shortly after it was finished. You are looking down Ash Street at the intersection of Ash and Park. Four of the houses in the photo are still standing, most prominent being the “Irvine House” situated on the NW corner of Ash and Williams.